Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The "Munoz" Family Story



Click to enlarge image...
For however long it has been told and written down in historical documentation form the days so far back as early as the 1400's of Mideveal times in Spain, the surname "Munoz" for which both my fathers family and my family has grasped its genealogical and also its immigrant roots from.
The surname of "Munoz" which has been traced all the way back to origins of the 15th century and maybe even earlier in the European country of Spain where the last name "Munoz" had been used for the very first time. Here in Spain was where my family's last name originated, but to be specific the "Munoz's" in Spain settled mostly near cities like La Coruna, Santiago, close to Barcelona in the northern part of Spain. Munoz in Spain isn't very common of a last name used since it is manily found in northern Spain. As i found in archives many Munoz family branches are found all over Latin America, U.S., and Spain because Munoz named ancestors started coming to the America's in the 1500's. One of the main reasons this has happened is because Munoz named conquistadores who were in the conquest of Central America and with the Pizarro Empire in the conquering of the Inca and Aztec Empire in the mid 1500's. With the research I was able to find, Munoz's started immigrating to Mexico in the Bourbon period of the Spanish monarchy, and continued well into the mid 1800's from Spain to Mexico as well as to other places. One Interesting fact that I did find to be very true was that my family is form Mexico City and in the research i found many Munoz's settled and are still setteled in Central Mexico mostly in San Luis Potosi to Mexico City and Veracruz. This information I found to be very accurate since I was born in Mexico City, Mexico and I can compare this information with thay of my fmaily origin.
Looking back at the history of my family's powerful and importnat last name, the only evidence that was left behind and has been passed down through the generations was the "Munoz" Family Crest of Spain and the written document which explains and defines significance of the 'Munoz" surname (top image). Unfortunately there are not any famous people that are related to me but what I can say is that there was one Spanish conquistador who was a  Munoz to have taken this last name. He went by the name of Gonzalo Munoz who arived in San Juan Island in 1511, he was a Spanish Conquistador set out with Pizarro in the Conquring of the America's.

19 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this!!! My daughter-in-law was adopted and she know's her father's birth name is Nick Munoz born in Sacrament, California. You have given her a wonderful gift!!! I will add this to her genealogy tree we are working on for her as we search her DNA Genealogy matches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have given your daughter the greatest gift of all LOVE THROUGH ADOPTION

      Delete
    2. You have given your daughter the greatest gift of all LOVE THROUGH ADOPTION

      Delete
  2. good info we come from the conquistador bartolome munoz who left cosco peru with pedro de valdivia 1540 killed at cocon chile 1541 im trying to trace back to spain do you know about this munoz?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if any italian immigrants are mixed in the family tree seeing as they left to Mexico during the 1800's. Mark Munoz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great info,I have also tracked the munoz last name. My father name is Luis munoz and I was born in Puerto Rico. I traced the munoz name to portgual to Spain it is also on sephardicjews.com.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great info,I have also tracked the munoz last name. My father name is Luis munoz and I was born in Puerto Rico. I traced the munoz name to portgual to Spain it is also on sephardicjews.com.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would really love to know more about my Families roots eddy2814@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some Muñoz had come from northern Spain to the new world in the 16th century? I had always been under the impression most had came from Andalucia or Extremadura.

    Do you have any supplemental information? I'm a descendant from a Muñoz family that have been in El Salvador since the conquest and unto this day they're found in a particular department of the country.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great information
    Marvin Guerrero Muñoz

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello. I am a Munoz from my mother's side. I've been trying to piece together a family tree, but it's been difficult. We are about 200 or so settled in Claireville Tx outside Beeville. Albertsalazartx@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. my name is Keziah Muñoz, my father's name is Victor Muñoz, my grandfather is Teclo Muñoz, his father is Teclo Muñoz Sr, my 2nd time great grandfather is Juan Muñoz, but this is as far back as I get from my discoveries, I do know that Juan traveled back and forth in the late 1890s from presidio,chihuahua, and el paso areas to texas. If anyone has information,i would love to share what I know. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good stuff...I'm a Munoz from my mothers side. Her father went by Pio Munoz as in Alpidio Munoz; of Spanish decent; white skin color with blue eyes. I never got a chance to meet him but do know he was a tall man who married Julia Ramos (I did meet; because of her we migrated to Jersey City, NJ) from Puerto Rico.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Alfonso was from Burgos, Castilla-Leon Spain, Pedro was from villadolid, Castilla-Leon Spain, Diego was born in Villadolid, the Pedro after that was born in caceres, caceres, extremadura Spain. After that Manuel De Los Reyes Ortiz was born Mexico City. I believe that is where we picked up the Ortiz name somehow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve been trying to trace my Ortiz lineage back and couldn’t go any further than Manuel de los Reyes,. This has been very helpful do you have any additional information ?

      Delete
  13. Well I've been looking for years to find an understanding of my name Antonio Munoz and this little information from the actual document was helpful

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well I've been looking for years to find an understanding of my name Antonio Munoz and this little information from the actual document was helpful

    ReplyDelete
  15. My branch of Muñoz settled in SanJose de Los Reynosos Jalisco. They were originally from Spain, I have been trying to see if I find where they came from in Spain. Any suggestions on how to do this?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looking for info on my mother's last name and I came across this. Would love to find about my roots. We were raised on the Pacific coast in Colombia, all I know is that mom's family migrated from Ecuador/Tumaco border.

    ReplyDelete