Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The Base Immigrant Roots of the "Munoz" Family

For as long and far back that my family immigrant roots can be traced to Mexico it all began when my aunt Martha Muñoz, who also happens to be my godmother, decided to migrate here to the United States from Michoacan, Mexico in search of a better life for her family and a new experience in her life.
My aunt Martha was the first of my relatives on either side of both of my families to take the risk of migrating to the United States. With my aunt once living here in the United States, my family and I would visit her here in Houston, TX over the holidays like Christmas and Thanksgiving. With every visit I began to get the feeling that my parents were amazed and seemed more and more convinced to move here to the US, besides the fact that my aunt would try and convince my parents to come live in the US every time we would visit.
Well as time went by I was right, in the summer of 1994 my parents decided to move to Houston, TX from Mexico City, Mexico. For the most part it was my dad's decision to move here to Houston, but also for my family and I to live the so called "American Dream" that all immigrants dream of Living.
As Spanish being the most common language spoken in Mexico, this was the only language that my parents, my brother, and I could speak at the current time. When we first arrived to the United States, I was only 1 year old but my brother on the other hand was 6 years old. For him coming to the US was a challenge having to learn English as it was also for my parents, and from him is whom I learned to speak English which was my second language. Still to this day my mother has not become entirely fluent in English but has learn as much as possible. For my father he had no choice but to learn English due to the fact that here in Houston, TX was where we successfully opened his first very own automotive mechanic shop. Giving my family the American Dream that both my father and family wanted.
When I one day become a father and have a family of my own, I will show and teach my children the ways and traditions of those of which I grew up doing with my family. It is very important that my children learn the traditions and language that I once learned. With the traditions that I have grown up with is crucial that my children learn them simply because these traditions and ideals have been passed down for many generations and I would never want them to end or disappear.

No comments:

Post a Comment